Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Can't we all just get along?

Today Twitter is all abuzz over the death of a 2 year old little boy. Now, to be fair, I haven't read too many of the negative comments directed at the mother of this boy, but I can imagine what they say. For some reason, us mothers forget that we need to support one another. Now is not the time to discuss what safety measures you think should have been in place to prevent this tragedy. Now is not the time to attack a woman for seeking out comfort from the community of friends she has created on Twitter. Now is not the time to be contacting news agencies to find out if the story is true. Now is the time for support.

I am proud to be a part of a great group of women who came together on a popular baby site and chose to leave and create our own community. We aren't all as active as we were when our babies we little, but we have learned over the last 5+ years is to help through the bad times and cheer for the good ones. We don't seek out information to verify a mommy's pain or grief. We take each at our word. That's not to say we haven't been burned for trusting a mommy who used us. We have. At our old stomping ground, we had stories of babies with cancer, abusive husbands and wives of hockey players which all turned out to be false. Even though I've been burned (and yes, I have) I still choose to support the mother.

And I always will. Because I know that, if I were in the same position, those same mommies would be supporting me.

To all of you mommies out there, I support you. Whether you are struggling or not, I support you. Whether we agree on parenting styles or not, I support you.

I support you!

No comments:

Post a Comment